London Fields Triathlon Club
Based in the heart of Hackney we welcome people of all abilities ages and backgrounds
London Fields Triathlon Club is a friendly and growing club based in and around Hackney, east London. We run a mixture of coached sessions most weekday evenings and weekends, informal cycle sessions on some mornings and a long social ride at weekends. Check out our training pages for details.
We always welcome new faces and it doesn’t matter if you’ve never done a triathlon before, or you have your eye on Kona. We have sessions and coaching standards for all abilities.
Each year we target key races in London and further afield and periodize our training around these. We help organise travel and/or accommodation and encourage members to join a select number of these as they’re a great way of meeting the team and building our reputation in the triathlon field.
We have a strong presence in the London League, a series of local duathlons, aquathlons and triathlons organised by clubs in the London area. It’s a great way for novices making their first forays into the world of triathlon, check out which races we’re attending this season.
We host two Aquathlons each year at our home training ground, the London Fields Lido, with races for adults and juniors. If you’re a junior keen to train with us, or take part in our races, visit our junior page.
It isn’t all triathlon. We regularly organise socials and club trips to sportives, cross countries, wild swims and our annual week club camp the in spring.
We advise you attend a few sessions before becoming a full-paying member, once you fall in love with us (which we’re sure you will) you can find out about our membership.
Upcoming training sessions
View full calendar
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I participate as an absolute beginner? Do I need to be able to swim/cycle/run a minimum distance or speed?
- Yes. There’s no need to feel intimidated, we have a wide range of athletes in the club who have different motivations for taking part. Our coached sessions are all an hour in duration so you will need to be comfortable training for this length of time, although they are not usually completely continuous and you will have opportunities to rest if you need to. Our coaches design sessions to be adaptable to suit your fitness levels, for example run sessions normally take the form of short laps and the number of laps you complete depends on the pace you choose to run. Likewise, we operate a higher-volume and lower-volume lane in our swim sessions so that you can swim with similarly-paced athletes. Unless you have raced or tested your swim speed recently, judging your swim fitness can be quite subjective — don’t be too hard on yourself!
Do I need to take part in all three disciplines? What if I’m focussed on duathlon or I have an injury that means I can only swim and bike?
- You don’t need to take part in all three disciplines. We have members at the club whose goals are Ironman, triathlon, duathlon, marathon or long distance swimming. People also get injured but can still train in some disciplines. Come along to the sessions and you will probably meet someone with your shared goals. Read more about our training sessions.
I’m training for an Ironman, do you have sessions to suit me?
- Our training sessions are designed by our club coaches to prepare LFTC athletes for specific races up to middle distance triathlon i.e. 1900m swim, 90km bike and 21km run. You may find our sessions complement your Ironman training by offering you a group training environment where the sessions may be shorter and performed at a higher intensity than the majority of your Ironman training. This type of training at the right time in your Ironman preparation will be of benefit. Within the club you are likely to meet other athletes training for Ironman and you may benefit from training with these athletes outside of club sessions also. Read more about our training sessions.
I have a physical limitation/I am a paratriathlete, can you accommodate me at your sessions?
- We welcome athletes of all levels and abilities to our club training sessions, and have hosted World Champion Paratriathletes at our club training sessions in the past. Not all of our sessions may be suited to every impairment — for example, our off road run sessions at London Fields may not be suited to wheelchair racers or those with leg impairments who are not comfortable running on off road surfaces. If you would like more information about our training sessions, or if you require a specific accommodation, please get in touch. Read more about our paratriathletes.
Can I train with LFTC before becoming a member?
- Yes you can come along and try out a few of our different sessions before becoming a member. A lot of our newcomers join the Swim Technique course first and find it’s a good way into the club as well as honing your swimming. Becoming a member has lots of benefits: discount on training sessions, a free members’ gift, discount on BTF membership and a chance to race for LFTC at London League events.
When are you training next?
- We have training sessions most days of the week, timings and locations of sessions do vary with the time of year, so view our full calendar for up to date information.
What should I bring with me?
- You don’t need expensive equipment and the latest gear to do a triathlon just enthusiasm and the right amount of training. However there are some bit of kit that will help with training; for the swim training sessions you will need a pull buoy, paddles and fins — these are available from Wiggle or Amazon and are not expensive. For the open water sessions in the summer you will need a wetsuit. For bike sessions you will need a road worthy bike, a helmet as well as your own puncture repair equipment. Bike sessions are uncoached so are your own responsibility.
Are there opportunities for juniors?
- Our Junior section is something that we really want to develop this year. We currently host three junior aquathlons and looking to coach regular training sessions as the season progresses. Read more about our juniors.